SoapOperaFan Message Board

Go Back   SoapOperaFan Message Board > Your Favorite Soap Opera Boards > Days of Our Lives > Days Spoilers, News and Rumors

Notices

Days Spoilers, News and Rumors Post and discuss any spoilers, news and rumors here.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Don Frabotta shares his thoughts on Al Rabin's passing

I asked Don Frabotta, who played Dave the maitre d' on "Days" from 1974-1993, if he'd like to share some memories of Al Rabin, the executive producer of "Days" from 1980-1992, who passed away on August 14, 2012 at the age of 76. Don was gracious enough to do so, and here's what he wrote:

"I was very saddened to hear that Al Rabin passed away. To me and for me, Al Rabin was a very special person. I remember when he first came to "Days" and how he worked with people as a director. He respected the actor and their work. I always looked forward to going in, knowing that Al would be directing for that day, further knowing that it would be a fun and special day. I enjoyed watching him work with the actors. When he became executive producer, he chose to carry the banner of Betty Corday, treating the cast and crew as family. He took an interest in the person as well as the actor. He was kind, a good mediator and mentor. It was as executive producer that, for me, Al became very inclusive, bringing Dave more into the show and into the storylines even though Dave had no storyline of his own. Dave catered the weddings. Dave went to the weddings. Dave served breakfast in bed. Dave helped Alice in her detective work, at Alice's Restaurant. Dave was included in show things just as if he was a contract player. When Doug's Place on the Lake was being "refurbished" and Dave was not seen for a couple of months, I was assured by Al that I would be back, to be patient. True to his word, I was back and more fully involved. There is a word in Yiddish that, today, is part of our everyday vernacular: mensch - a person of honor and integrity. This was Al Rabin, to me and for me, and all those involved with the production of "Days of Our Lives."

Don Frabotta, 8/17/12
Old 08-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Wild Card

Default Re: Don Frabotta shares his thoughts on Al Rabin's passing

That was a very nice tribute. Thank you, Don, and thanks, Jason, for asking him to comment. It's so good to hear that Mr. Rabin treated the actors with respect. Some directors and execs don't.